The fast-food franchise is often cited for its customer service, but one Chick-fil-A employee in Georgia reportedly went above and beyond to assist one young patron this week.
Logan Simmons was working at a location in Hall County on Wednesday when a 6-year-old boy in the drive-thru line began choking.
“I just jumped out the window and ran straight down to the car,” he said. “I think it was the quickest option. It was right there and I saw the other car right there.”
Once at the car, he said he could tell the seat belt had become wrapped around the child’s neck.
“I’m still kind of shocked right now myself that all this has happened,” he said.
Simmons’ mother said he treated the incident as part of a day’s work.
“He’d been home for a couple of hours and said nonchalantly, ‘I saved a kid’s life today,'” Teri Simmons said. “And I was like, ‘What?'”
The boy’s mother reportedly called to personally thank the quick-thinking employee.